Polarity Therapy is one of the energy based medical systems. Its basic theory is that true healing can only take place if the energy which underlies form is moving freely. The word “Polarity” implies the understanding that all life is energy in movement between polar opposite states. It takes as its basis, the traditional Indian (Ayurvedic) model of energy movement within the body, including the idea of a natural expansion/contraction cycle and energy centres and pathways. Ill health results when this movement is interrupted and energy becomes static somewhere in this spectrum between opposites.
Polarity Therapy is the therapeutic system developed by Randolph Stone DO, DC, ND (1890-1981). Dr Stone dedicated his life to the service of humankind through the healing profession for over 50 years. He qualified in, and practised Osteopathy, Chiropractic and Naturopathy but felt he was still missing some vital ingredient. He travelled widely and studied the Chinese and Indian traditional medical systems and it was in these that he was introduced to the idea of an underlying energy within the body. It was with this understanding that he synthesised the best of Eastern and Western traditional medical systems into a new whole which he called Polarity Therapy.
The current practice of Polarity Therapy comprises four main components:
- Hands-on bodywork. Dr Stone evolved a form of bodywork which used his understanding of how energy moves within the body to stimulate and balance this movement in the restoration of health.
- Exercises. Based on this same energy model, he developed a form of energy exercises which are a self-help way of maintaining energy flow.
- Nutrition. He stressed not only the need for a wholesome nutritious diet but also looked at the balance of energy within the foods which are available to us.
- Attitude. How we think and approach our lives is an essential element in health and finding out where we are holding negative and limiting thoughts can often be a key to the recovery of full health.
Polarity Therapy is a huge field of study which covers:
- the understanding of structure and function from Osteopathy and Chiropractic and the importance of balance within the nervous system
- the essential need for nutrition and diet from Naturopathy
- the balance of the elements and humours from Indian (Ayurvedic) and traditional European medical systems
When these are brought together, in the hands of a skilful practitioner, the result is a system which is wide-ranging and powerful in its application.